USA: UFFVA, PMA offer food safety guidance for melon industry
Trade groups the United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Association (United) and the Produce Marketing Association have released new food safety guidance for the entire melon supply chain.
Developed by a group of leading produce food safety experts and representatives of operations within the industry, the guideline document is called 'Commodity Specific Food Safety Guidelines for the Melon Supply Chain'.
"United, PMA, and our industry partners have made food safety our top priority," said Dr. Jim Gorny, vice president of quality assurance and technology for United. "We are committed to continual improvement of produce safe handling practices and suggest that all companies involved in the melon supply chain consider the recommendations contained within these guidelines."
PMA, United and industry partners also support educational outreach efforts to assure awareness and use of available melon food safety information. In addition, the two organizations will work together to review and implement these and other important produce industry food safety guidelines.
"Our organizations and the government also share the common goal of assuring consumer confidence in the safety of fresh fruits and vegetables," said Kathy Means, PMA vice president of government relations. "The myriad health benefits of fruit and vegetable consumption are well documented, and we will take all necessary steps to make our industry's products as safe, nutritious, and delicious as possible."
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review