INDIA: UK asks India to "ease restrictions" on FDI
UK ups pressure to open India for investment
The UK government has indicated that it hopes to negotiate a relaxation of restrictions on investment in India.
Speaking from the Mumbai offices of consumer goods giant Unilever, UK Prime Minister David Cameron told reporters there should be "a conversation about opening up the Indian economy, making it easier to do business here".
According to Sky News, Cameron highlighted the insurance and banking sectors as areas he wanted to push for a liberalisation of foreign direct investment in the country. However, an easing of restrictions could have a significant impact on Indian FDI retail restrictions.
Currently, Indian politicians are in the process of relaxing retail investment restrictions and recently introduced proposals allowing foreign companies to own up to 51% of multi-brand retail businesses.
A spokesperson for UK retail giant Tesco hinted that the group could potentially step-up investment in the region if conditions become more favourable.
"We have welcomed moves in India to allow foreign investment in multi-brand retail and continue to review the conditions. We already have a successful franchise arrangement with Tata's Star Bazaar stores and we are hopeful that this development will allow more Indian consumers, businesses and communities to benefit from world-class retail investment."
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in China. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report w...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019