UAE: UK potato firm Albert Bartlett signs JV with Al Dahra
Albert Bartlett brands will be distributed by venture
UK potato supplier Albert Bartlett has launched a venture targeting the Middle East and Africa with UAE agribusiness Al Dahra National Investments.
The venture, Al Dahra Bartlett, will work with potato products processed in the Middle East and Africa, as well as those shipped into the region.
Al Dahra Bartlett, to be based in Abu Dhabi, will also distribute Albert Bartlett branded products within the markets.
It will start by supplying Egyptian processors with up to 50,000 tonnes of potatoes this year. Initial trading of fresh produce is expected to start early next year.
Family-owned Albert Bartlett is adding to a presence in Europe, North America and Australasia.
Al Dahra, formed in 1995, has an annual turnover of more than US$1bn. It said potatoes were "a strategic opportunity" in the region.
- Why Mars rice plan not just crop-ticking exercise
- Greencore's food-to-go focus paying dividends
- ConAgra Foods: what could happen next? - analysis
- How Danone aims to meet its 2020 objectives
- Interview: Ritter sees growth potential in US, EU
- Pinnacle to buy Boulder Brands in $975m deal
- Genius Foods buys UK gluten-free firm Chapel Foods
- Aryzta regional CEO steps down
- Maple Leaf Foods to cut over 400 jobs
- Hovis plans cuts amid anxiety over UK bread demand