AUSTRALIA: (Un) fashionable fowl bows out to salmon pink
Charles Wilkins has recently unveiled his new winter collection, and the reviews have been good. The co-producer of Sydney caterer Culinary Edge revealed that salmon pink is the most fashionable item on the dinner plate: "People are too embarrassed to serve chicken at events nowadays, because of the rubber chicken circuit references."Once the darling of corporate caterers during the 1990s, it seems now that no one wants to be seen with chicken anymore. It's simply so… passé. Graham Bell, director of the Centre for Chemosensory Research at the University of NSW, explained: "Since the introduction of battery hen production in the 1960s, chicken has become a high-protein and tasty meal - but now it isn't such a luxury… if it is to share the exotic lure of salmon, it would have to market itself as game or fowl.".But to cater for what event director Jarrad Clark, from Spin Events, which produces Australian Fashion Week, has described as a "must-have" for functions, will the salmon industry have to adopt the intensity of the battery farming of late twentieth century hens?Purveying the restaurant orders of Sydney's Hilton Hotel, head chef Kurt Looser does not predict a fall from grace anytime soon: "All you do is grill it and serve it with a little salt and you have a wonderful meal."Beautiful colour, luxurious texture and heavenly lightness. Absolutely fabulous, darling.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Pladis stepping up growth investments
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report