UPDATE: US: UNFI strike ends with talks scheduled
Strike action at US food distributor United Natural Foods has ended with talks between the company and union officials planned for next week.
Staff at a UNFI site in Washington state held industrial action for two days amid claims the company had refused to hold talks on pay and amid claims it had broken labour rules.
However, the strike ended at 15:30 PST after UNFI accepted an offer from staff to return to work. Talks are set to be held next Thursday (20 December).
"We are pleased to announce the end of the strike. We intend to hold UNFI to its stated commitment to return to the bargaining table and bargain a fair contract in good-faith with its employees," Tracey Thompson, secretary-treasurer of the local branch of the Teamsters union, said.
After day one of the strike, UNFI said it was "surprised and disappointed" at the industrial action. "UNFI offered to return to the bargaining table as recently as yesterday, yet the union elected to go out on strike," it said. The distributor also brushed off claims it had broken labour laws.
However, Chris Tarrats, a UNFI driver, said it was "important" staff "sent a message" to the company.
"The strike sent a strong message to UNFI that it needs to respect its workers and respect the bargaining process. My co-workers and I felt it was important to send that message, but also to keep the strike short so that we would minimise the disruption and inconvenience to our customers during the holiday season."
UNFI was not available for immediate comment.
United Natural Foods Inc has raised its full-year sales forecast after booking an increase in its revenue and earnings for the first nine months of the year....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights