UK: Unilever eyes new consumers with Ben & Jerry's Greek frozen yoghurt
Unilever's ice cream brand, Ben & Jerry's, is launching Greek-style frozen yoghurt in the UK in a bid to appeal to more health conscious consumers.
The company is bringing out three varieties of Greek frozen yoghurt: Strawberry Shortcake, Raspberry Chocolate Chunk and Vanilla Honey Caramel. It claims to be the first Greek-style frozen yoghurt in the country.
"This product was launched two years ago in the States and it has proven very popular. When we launched in the US, 40% of buyers were new buyers to both Ben & Jerry's and the luxury ice cream category," assistant brand manager Zhelin Chen told just-food at a launch event yesterday (1 April).
Trial purchasing was driven by the better-for-you profile of Ben & Jerry's Greek, which contains 40% less fat than regular Ben & Jerry's ice cream, making it a more "permissible" treat, Chen observed.
The group believes that the reduced fat profile will also enable the brand to build purchase frequency.
The company believes it can replicate the success seen in the US and expects that the launch will drive incremental category growth in the UK. "It will not just be good for Ben & Jerry's. We believe it will be beneficial for retailers too - expanding the category and increasing footfall," Chen predicted.
The launch is being supported by Ben & Jerry's "largest ever" marketing investment in the UK. A GBP8m (US$13.3m) marketing campaign - including TV, cinema and online activity - is set to go live next Monday.
The frozen yoghurt is being launched with a "premium price positioning", Chen continued. The RRP for a 500ml container is GBP4.99 while 150ml pots will be priced at GBP1.68.
Synopsis Canadean's "Unilever N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Unilever PLC (ULVR) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and c...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details