UK: Unilever eyes new consumers with Ben & Jerry's Greek frozen yoghurt
Unilever's ice cream brand, Ben & Jerry's, is launching Greek-style frozen yoghurt in the UK in a bid to appeal to more health conscious consumers.
The company is bringing out three varieties of Greek frozen yoghurt: Strawberry Shortcake, Raspberry Chocolate Chunk and Vanilla Honey Caramel. It claims to be the first Greek-style frozen yoghurt in the country.
"This product was launched two years ago in the States and it has proven very popular. When we launched in the US, 40% of buyers were new buyers to both Ben & Jerry's and the luxury ice cream category," assistant brand manager Zhelin Chen told just-food at a launch event yesterday (1 April).
Trial purchasing was driven by the better-for-you profile of Ben & Jerry's Greek, which contains 40% less fat than regular Ben & Jerry's ice cream, making it a more "permissible" treat, Chen observed.
The group believes that the reduced fat profile will also enable the brand to build purchase frequency.
The company believes it can replicate the success seen in the US and expects that the launch will drive incremental category growth in the UK. "It will not just be good for Ben & Jerry's. We believe it will be beneficial for retailers too - expanding the category and increasing footfall," Chen predicted.
The launch is being supported by Ben & Jerry's "largest ever" marketing investment in the UK. A GBP8m (US$13.3m) marketing campaign - including TV, cinema and online activity - is set to go live next Monday.
The frozen yoghurt is being launched with a "premium price positioning", Chen continued. The RRP for a 500ml container is GBP4.99 while 150ml pots will be priced at GBP1.68.
Synopsis Canadean's "Unilever N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Unilever PLC (ULVR) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and c...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019