UK/NETHERLANDS: Unilever issues GBP250m "green bond"
Unilever furthers sustainable agenda with "green bond"
Unilever revealed plans to issue the "first ever green sustainability bond" in the sterling market yesterday (19 March).
The GBP250m (US$412.9m) 2% fixed rate notes will be due in December 2018.
The company worked with DNV GL, an independent environmental consultancy, to develop a green sustainability bond framework to provide "clarity and transparency" around the use of the proceeds. The framework includes criteria on emissions, water use and waste disposal and outlines a yearly reporting schedule to detail use of the funds.
Unilever said the move was a first from the FMCG sector.
Commenting on the green bond, CFO Jean Marc Huet said that it provided investors with an opportunity to support Unilever's sustainable living plan. "By issuing our first green sustainability bond, our intention is to invite investors to support our vision for sustainable growth, while investing in the Unilever credit."
Current projects that will benefit from the capital raising include: a laundry liquid detergent factory in Johannesburg, South Africa; a laundry powder facility in Sichuan, China; a home and personal care factory in Selcuklu-Konya, Turkey; an ice cream factory in Johannesburg, South Africa; the expansion of a spreads factory in Kansas, US; and the "lean & green freezer' cabinets project in Turkey, Russia and the US.
2014 saw the launch of many new products and services by manufacturers. One of the highlights was the launch of Wall’s One Hour Home Delivery service for consumers in Karachi and Lahore by Unilever Pa...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016