UK: Unilever launches Flora, Bertolli "blended" spreads
Unilever has launched two new butter spreads including Gold by Flora
Unilever has launched its first set of "blended spreads" in the UK in a bid to give a further boost to its sales in a challenging category.
Spreads sales in some markets in Europe and North America have been under pressure as consumers renew their interest in butter, deeming that product as more natural.
The consumer goods giant, the world's largest spreads manufacturer, said Gold from Flora would "offer the creamy taste of butter with the convenience of a spread". The product has 40% less saturated fat than block butter.
The firm has also launched Bertolli with Butter, made with olive oil and butter "carefully blended for a rich buttery taste and contains around 45% less saturated fat than block butter"
Last autumn, in a similar move, Unilever added butter to its Rama margarine brand in Germany.
Patty Essick, brand building director for spreads at Unilever's UK arm, said: "Our role at Unilever is to grow the spreads category as a whole with products that offer great-tasting alternatives to butter.
"The launches of these two products have already got off to a great start in other European countries so far and we're confident that we will replicate that success in the UK."
Gold from Flora and Bertolli with Butter are available in 400g tubs at an RRP of GBP2.49 (US$4.20) and 225g packs with a RRP of GBP1.49 tubs.
Nestle this week admitted 3G Capital and Warren Buffett's investments in the food industry had led to "accelerate" efforts to "adjust" its portfolio. The food giant was also one of the companies repor...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report