UK: Unilever launches Flora, Bertolli "blended" spreads
Unilever has launched two new butter spreads including Gold by Flora
Unilever has launched its first set of "blended spreads" in the UK in a bid to give a further boost to its sales in a challenging category.
Spreads sales in some markets in Europe and North America have been under pressure as consumers renew their interest in butter, deeming that product as more natural.
The consumer goods giant, the world's largest spreads manufacturer, said Gold from Flora would "offer the creamy taste of butter with the convenience of a spread". The product has 40% less saturated fat than block butter.
The firm has also launched Bertolli with Butter, made with olive oil and butter "carefully blended for a rich buttery taste and contains around 45% less saturated fat than block butter"
Last autumn, in a similar move, Unilever added butter to its Rama margarine brand in Germany.
Patty Essick, brand building director for spreads at Unilever's UK arm, said: "Our role at Unilever is to grow the spreads category as a whole with products that offer great-tasting alternatives to butter.
"The launches of these two products have already got off to a great start in other European countries so far and we're confident that we will replicate that success in the UK."
Gold from Flora and Bertolli with Butter are available in 400g tubs at an RRP of GBP2.49 (US$4.20) and 225g packs with a RRP of GBP1.49 tubs.
2014 saw the launch of many new products and services by manufacturers. One of the highlights was the launch of Wall’s One Hour Home Delivery service for consumers in Karachi and Lahore by Unilever Pa...
Nestle this week admitted 3G Capital and Warren Buffett's investments in the food industry had led to "accelerate" efforts to "adjust" its portfolio. The food giant was also one of the companies repor...
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream finalise joint venture plans
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- Pinnacle Foods names Mondelez's Mark Clouse CEO
- Kerry foods Q1 volumes lifted by NPD