UK: Unilever makes Magnum Rainforest Alliance commitment
Unilever said it will have to source 60% of the cocoa for Magnum from sustainable sources by the end of 2012
The consumer goods giant said Magnum ice creams will only contain the cocoa by 2015. It said today (20 February) that, to meet the target, it will have to source 60% of the cocoa from sustainable sources by the end of 2012.
Some 35,000 tonnes of cocoa are used it Magnum. It is unclear what percentage of the cocoa is certified by the Rainforest Alliance. Officials for Unilever could not provide an answer at the time of writing.
"We're committed to establishing best practice in the industry, and through our work with the Rainforest Alliance, we can now source our cocoa in a sustainable and responsible way," said Mike Van Ettinger, senior vice president for Magnum "For us, this is as much about making a difference at origin by helping farmers and improving their livelihood and environment, as it is delivering pleasure."
Unilever is one of a number of major companies obtaining Rainforest Alliance certification for its brands.
The certification programme promotes sustainable farm management and incorporates a range of environmental, social and economic standards, including water and soil conservation, wildlife protection, wages, housing and healthcare for farm workers.
Dessert brand Gü and Ben & Jerry's ice cream ramped up the discounts they offered to UK consumers in July, according to the latest data from the just-food Promo Tracker....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019