UK: Unilever makes Magnum Rainforest Alliance commitment
Unilever said it will have to source 60% of the cocoa for Magnum from sustainable sources by the end of 2012
The consumer goods giant said Magnum ice creams will only contain the cocoa by 2015. It said today (20 February) that, to meet the target, it will have to source 60% of the cocoa from sustainable sources by the end of 2012.
Some 35,000 tonnes of cocoa are used it Magnum. It is unclear what percentage of the cocoa is certified by the Rainforest Alliance. Officials for Unilever could not provide an answer at the time of writing.
"We're committed to establishing best practice in the industry, and through our work with the Rainforest Alliance, we can now source our cocoa in a sustainable and responsible way," said Mike Van Ettinger, senior vice president for Magnum "For us, this is as much about making a difference at origin by helping farmers and improving their livelihood and environment, as it is delivering pleasure."
Unilever is one of a number of major companies obtaining Rainforest Alliance certification for its brands.
The certification programme promotes sustainable farm management and incorporates a range of environmental, social and economic standards, including water and soil conservation, wildlife protection, wages, housing and healthcare for farm workers.
Dessert brand Gü and Ben & Jerry's ice cream ramped up the discounts they offered to UK consumers in July, according to the latest data from the just-food Promo Tracker....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020