SOUTH AFRICA: Unilever plant enters tenth day of strikes
Unilever South Africa is experiencing its tenth day of strikes
A Unilever plant in South Africa has entered a tenth day of industrial action as 220 staff refuse to return to work due to a dispute over pay.
The strike at its Pietermaritzburg site started on 17 January and a spokesperson at Unilever confirmed that industrial action is ongoing (27 January) as the two parties negotiate an agreement.
A statement issued by the FAWU union representing the workers stated: "FAWU could not reach agreement with both Unilever SA (Tea Factory) and Unilever Food Solutions. At Unilever Tea Factory, the union and the company deadlocked on a wage increase where the company offers 6% and the union demands 9%. At Unilever Food Solutions, the union demands 10% while the company offers 6%".
The two parties also deadlocked on another issue at the food site. At present Unilever Pietermaritzburg operates two grades in its canister department and label operator department of autonomous operator and universal operator. According to the statement, the company plans to introduce a third low-level general operator position at a "forcefully implemented new grading of R3500".
"Slowly these young GO's will replace all the older members that are paid at better grades. At the end of the day they will be able to run the company with the most people at the very lowest paid grade. We should also bear in mind that this is the lowest paid division in all Unilever companies," read the statement.
Nobody at Unilever Pietermaritzburg was immediately available to comment on the allegations when approached by just-food.
Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and c...
just-food's contributing editor Ben Cooper predicts what will be the key issues in food sustainability circles in 2015, with the debate over sugar likely to continue to rage, while supply chains - in ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Unilever N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Unilever PLC (ULVR) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report