UK: Unilever targets stay-at-home consumers with Magnum Luxury tubs
Unilever launches Magnum Luxury ice cream tubs. Click below for a full image.
Magnum's first venture into tubs reflects a growing number of stay-at-home consumers who still want to treat themselves, despite tough economic times in the UK.
"The luxury dessert market is worth over GBP145m (US$236m) and tub formats are proving increasingly popular," said Unilever's marekting manager for desserts, Anna Spray. Magnum Luxury will come in Chocolate and Vanilla varieties and retail in 450ml tubs for a recommended retail price of GBP3.99.
The UK is the world's tenth-largest ice cream market, with per capita spend and consumption of GBP17 and six litres respectively, according to Mintel data. Its figures show the UK ice cream, sorbet and frozen yogurt market has expanded by almost one fifth over the last five years to reach GBP1.1bn.
Senior Mintel food analyst, Amy Price, said: "Marketing single-serve products around the notion of a one-off permissible treat should allow brands and own-label players to appeal to the growing number of one-person households who are both short on storage space and are reducing their consumption of ice cream for health reasons."
Heinz stunned the global food industry with news it had agreed to a US$28bn takeover offer from Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital - purported to be the larges...
Jobs within Unilever's European business could go as the consumer goods giant restructures its brand development in the region....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities