UK: Unilever targets stay-at-home consumers with Magnum Luxury tubs
Unilever launches Magnum Luxury ice cream tubs. Click below for a full image.
Magnum's first venture into tubs reflects a growing number of stay-at-home consumers who still want to treat themselves, despite tough economic times in the UK.
"The luxury dessert market is worth over GBP145m (US$236m) and tub formats are proving increasingly popular," said Unilever's marekting manager for desserts, Anna Spray. Magnum Luxury will come in Chocolate and Vanilla varieties and retail in 450ml tubs for a recommended retail price of GBP3.99.
The UK is the world's tenth-largest ice cream market, with per capita spend and consumption of GBP17 and six litres respectively, according to Mintel data. Its figures show the UK ice cream, sorbet and frozen yogurt market has expanded by almost one fifth over the last five years to reach GBP1.1bn.
Senior Mintel food analyst, Amy Price, said: "Marketing single-serve products around the notion of a one-off permissible treat should allow brands and own-label players to appeal to the growing number of one-person households who are both short on storage space and are reducing their consumption of ice cream for health reasons."
Unilever is diversifying its operations into emerging markets, particularly Asia Pacific and Latin America, but there is still significant room for growth in these regions. Rising obesity levels, alon...
Heinz stunned the global food industry with news it had agreed to a US$28bn takeover offer from Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital - purported to be the larges...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- Focus: Can BRF deliver aggressive growth?
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Wrigley opposes Perfetti Van Melle "WTF" TM
- Dutch confirm second bird flu outbreak
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Dairy Product Production in China
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report