UK: Unilever's £1.4bn Slim-Fast buy
The world's second largest food company Unilever is buying Slim-Fast foods for £1.44bn ($2.3bn). But the company refused to comment on reports it was also about to buy out fashionable ice cream makers Ben & Jerry's. Slim-Fast, best known for its powdered diet drinks, holds 45% of the American markets for health and weight loss foods. Unilever said this was the fastest growing sector in the US health food business. Unilever chairman Niall FitzGerald said: "Slim-Fast fits perfectly into our vision for the development of our foods business. "It brings us a world-class brand and a product range growing at over 20% per annum." Unilever recently decided to concentrate on 400 key brands and dispose of a further less profitable 1200 brands. Its existing range of brands includes the Walls ice cream business, Persil washing powder and Oxo. The company plans to expand the Slim-Fast brand outside of the US where up until now its sales have been relatively small.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements