UK: Union anger as British Bakeries axes jobs
Over 70 workers have lost their jobs at British Bakeries after a review of the business.
Some 140 jobs at the Plymouth site were under threat but, following consultations with unions, a total of 79 workers have been made redundant.
However, union officials remain angry at the way British Bakeries selected which workers where to lose their jobs.
Dave Dash, regional officer of the Bakers, Food and Allied Workers' Union, said the company decided to choose which employees to lay off despite union proposals that would have seen a number of workers leave voluntarily.
Dash claimed that some workers who had found alternative employment had been "forced" to stay at the company. "You now have a very, very unhappy workforce," Dash told just-food today (16 April). "It is very disappointing, all this could have been avoided. British Bakeries used a dictatorial approach."
He added that the "loss-making" British Bakeries is looking to save some GBP5m (US$9.8m) from the move.
Officials at Premier Foods were unavailable for comment as just-food went to press.
Among the green issues which have come to the fore in recent years, none is more pressing than waste reduction, and in the UK the food industry is among the worst offenders. As public and political pr...
This week, there have been signs that retailers are looking to pass on rising supplier costs to consumers. From discounters in Germany to Tesco in the UK, food processors could soon be getting some re...
Food producers are facing rising raw material costs, particularly for dairy ingredients and wheat, making food price inflation almost inevitable. But, writes Dean Best, in the midst of a continuing pr...
The acquisition of RHM by Premier Foods was greeted enthusiastically by analysts but while the GBP1.2bn deal gives Premier some prestigious brands, Katy Humphries believes questions remain over Premie...
Associated British Foods has insisted that full-year profits will be in line with expectations with rising earnings from its sugar operations offsetting problems from its grocery business....
First half profits at Premier Foods have fallen by a half despite a significant rise in turnover as the group integrated two significant acquisitions and sold off underperforming businesses....
Global rises in bread prices are set to continue as grain prices continue to put pressure on bakers according to a trade association....
British Bakeries, part of the Premier Foods group, has announced the proposed closure of one of its bakeries in Bradford, Yorkshire and a depot in Telford, Shropshire, in the face of falling demand fo...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis