UK: United Biscuits snacks auction "set for after summer"
Sale of brands including Hula Hoops could start after summer
The owners of United Biscuits will reportedly start the process to sell the UK firm's salty snacks business after the summer period.
A report from Dow Jones Newswires yesterday (19 July) said the separation of United Biscuits into two units - salty snacks and biscuits - was now complete and bankers plan to kick off the auction for the salty snacks business in the coming months.
A United Biscuits spokesperson declined to comment, while officials at its two private-equity owners PAI Partners and Blackstone could not be reached for immediate comment.
United Biscuits announced in March it would split its biscuit and snacks businesses in the UK, a move then seen as a potential pre-cursor for the break-up of the company. Sources told just-food the decision was seen as a way of "realising more value" for Blackstone and PAI, which had put United Biscuits up for sale in 2010 but failed to find a buyer.
The salty snacks side of the business, which owns brands including Hula Hoops and Skips, has been valued at around GBP500m (US$781.4m).
The future of the biscuits division is likely dependent on whether United Biscuits' owners succeeds in selling the salty snacks division.
News that Flowers Food has emerged as the "stalking horse" bidder for various Hostess Brands bread brands in the US caught our attention last week. Meanwhile, an entirely different kind of horse got t...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report