UK: United Biscuits snacks auction "set for after summer"
Sale of brands including Hula Hoops could start after summer
The owners of United Biscuits will reportedly start the process to sell the UK firm's salty snacks business after the summer period.
A report from Dow Jones Newswires yesterday (19 July) said the separation of United Biscuits into two units - salty snacks and biscuits - was now complete and bankers plan to kick off the auction for the salty snacks business in the coming months.
A United Biscuits spokesperson declined to comment, while officials at its two private-equity owners PAI Partners and Blackstone could not be reached for immediate comment.
United Biscuits announced in March it would split its biscuit and snacks businesses in the UK, a move then seen as a potential pre-cursor for the break-up of the company. Sources told just-food the decision was seen as a way of "realising more value" for Blackstone and PAI, which had put United Biscuits up for sale in 2010 but failed to find a buyer.
The salty snacks side of the business, which owns brands including Hula Hoops and Skips, has been valued at around GBP500m (US$781.4m).
The future of the biscuits division is likely dependent on whether United Biscuits' owners succeeds in selling the salty snacks division.
News that Flowers Food has emerged as the "stalking horse" bidder for various Hostess Brands bread brands in the US caught our attention last week. Meanwhile, an entirely different kind of horse got t...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details