US: United Natural Foods blames Teamsters for talks failure
Teamsters-affiliated workers remain on strike at the United Natural Foods (UNFI) site in Auburn, Washington State. The dispute began over alleged abuse of labour rules and has expanded into accusations that the organic food supplier acted illegally by employing permancent replacements for striking workers.
Despite the potential detrimental effects on UNFI business, and on striking workers' income, no solution has been found after several rounds of talks.
Following the latest negotiations, UNFI said this week that the union rejected "a reasonable, good-faith offer" from the company.
"UNFI will continue to stay focused on executing our mission of meeting the needs of our customers in the Seattle marketplace," said UNFI group president, Sean Griffin.
Earlier this month, local UNFI customer PCC Natural Markets wrote to the company urging it to find a solution to the dispute, and warning that it would seek out alternative suppliers.
UNFI Comments on Teamsters Local 117 Union Situation
AUBURN, Wash., Jan. 11, 2013 – United Natural Foods, Inc., said today that it is
disappointed that members of Teamsters Local 117 rejected its latest offer. After a
bargaining session with the union last week and after several discussions with the
union’s leadership leading up to today’s vote, UNFI was optimistic a contract would be
“UNFI will continue to stay focused on executing our mission of meeting the needs of our
customers in the Seattle marketplace,” commented Sean Griffin, UNFI Group President.
“We regret the union’s timing of this strike, and that it continues, particularly because of
the impact this strike has had on our associates and their families in Auburn.”
UNFI has historically had a good working relationship with Teamsters Local 117 for
the last 22 years, and its approach at all times in the negotiations has been to work
collaboratively to ensure it reaches an agreement that is in the best interest of its
associates, its customers and its business.
Original source: https://www.unfi.com/Pages/default.aspx
This week's batch of reports includes a study on sugar confectionery in emerging markets and a specific look at the chocolate sector in Latin America. Research on the global organic food and drink mar...
United Natural Foods Inc has raised its full-year sales forecast after booking an increase in its revenue and earnings for the first nine months of the year....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review