US: United Natural Foods, Teamsters to hold dispute talks
United Natural Foods and the Teamsters trade union will hold fresh talks as customers voice disquiet over the ongoing worker strike in Washington state.
United Natural Foods (UNFI), a key supplier to Whole Foods Market and which specialises in organic and natural foods, is due to meet Teamsters representatives in-front of a federal mediator on 8 January.
Workers at the UNFI site in Auburn remain on strike over alleged abuse of labour rules, following the failure of previous talks on 20 December. Most recently, Teamsters has also accused UNFI of illegally employing permanent replacements for 72 striking workers.
As the dispute continues, there is growing concern among some of UNFI's regional customers.
"We continue to accept deliveries from UNFI but are exploring other long-term options," said PCC Natural Markets. It has written to UNFI to urge the firm to engage with Teamsters and bargain fairly.
"Many food co-ops have taken action to support the striking workers," Teamsters' local spokesperson, Paul Zilly, told just-food. "Both the Olympia Food Co-op and the Central Co-op in Seattle have refused UNFI deliveries."
A UNFI spokesperson told just-food: "UNFI looks forward to continuing negotiations and is hopeful we can get to an agreement that is in the best interests of our customers, our associates and our business. In the meantime, UNFI’s focus remains on serving its customers."
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Organic Food and Drink market to grow at a CAGR of 14.3 percent CAGR over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is th...
This week's batch of reports includes a study on sugar confectionery in emerging markets and a specific look at the chocolate sector in Latin America. Research on the global organic food and drink mar...
United Natural Foods Inc has raised its full-year sales forecast after booking an increase in its revenue and earnings for the first nine months of the year....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report