CANADA: US cheese price hike boosts Saputo profits
Higher cheese prices in the US have helped push up Sauputo's quarterly profits
Higher cheese prices in the US have helped push up quarterly profits at Saputo, the Canadian dairy group said today (3 August).
Saputo's net earnings climbed 31.4% to C$111.4m during the first quarter of the company's fiscal year, a quarter that ended on 30 June.
The improved bottom line came as Saputo's EBIDTA increased 20.4% to C$190.8m thanks to "operational efficiencies" and "more favourable market conditions" in the US, the company said.
The EBITDA from Saputo's US dairy products business jumped by more than 57% to C$65m as cheese prices rose.
The inclusion of last June's acquisition of F&A Dairy into the numbers also helped Saputo's EBITDA in the US.
EBITDA from Saputo's Canadian, European and Argentinean businesses was up 8.1% at C$121.7m.
Lower volumes from those regions weighed on Saputo's turnover, which dipped 0.7% to C$1.44bn.
George Weston Ltd, Canada's largest food processor, has announced it will pay a one-time common share dividend of C$1bn (US$993.4m)....
Canadian dairy processor Saputo is investigating the cause of a listeria contamination that led to it recalling several lots of cheese from a Quebec plant....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019