CANADA: US cheese price hike boosts Saputo profits
Higher cheese prices in the US have helped push up Sauputo's quarterly profits
Higher cheese prices in the US have helped push up quarterly profits at Saputo, the Canadian dairy group said today (3 August).
Saputo's net earnings climbed 31.4% to C$111.4m during the first quarter of the company's fiscal year, a quarter that ended on 30 June.
The improved bottom line came as Saputo's EBIDTA increased 20.4% to C$190.8m thanks to "operational efficiencies" and "more favourable market conditions" in the US, the company said.
The EBITDA from Saputo's US dairy products business jumped by more than 57% to C$65m as cheese prices rose.
The inclusion of last June's acquisition of F&A Dairy into the numbers also helped Saputo's EBITDA in the US.
EBITDA from Saputo's Canadian, European and Argentinean businesses was up 8.1% at C$121.7m.
Lower volumes from those regions weighed on Saputo's turnover, which dipped 0.7% to C$1.44bn.
George Weston Ltd, Canada's largest food processor, has announced it will pay a one-time common share dividend of C$1bn (US$993.4m)....
Canadian dairy processor Saputo is investigating the cause of a listeria contamination that led to it recalling several lots of cheese from a Quebec plant....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- German dairy DMK to pursue cost-cutting plans
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights