US: US snacks plant to go as Kellogg continues revamp
Kellogg is looking to make better use of resources to try to drive growth
Kellogg has announced plans to shut a snacks plant in the US and rejig another as part of its moves to restructure its business worldwide.
The company said its facility in Charlotte in North Carolina would close by the end of the year. It also set out plans to cut two lines at another snacks site in Cincinnati in Ohio.
The revamp of Kellogg's snacks production in the US is the latest in a series of moves by the US food giant to make its business efficient and raise funds to invest in its core sectors in developed markets and to invest in emerging economies.
Last month, Kelloog said it would cut around 140 jobs at a UK manufacturing facility. In December, Kellogg said plants in Australia and Canada would close.
However, the company has said it would build a snacks plant in Malaysia and expand an existing site in Thailand.
"We have a compelling business need to better align our assets with marketplace trends and customer requirements," Kellogg president and CEO John Bryant said. "To that end, we are taking action to ensure our manufacturing network is operating the right number of plants and production lines – in the right locations – to better meet current and future production needs and the evolving needs of our customers."
Kellogg reports its financial results for 2013 on Thursday. In November, it lowered its forecast for annual earnings after lower-than-expected sales.
Kellogg Company (K) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
Kellogg Company - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. Kellogg Company - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key business structure and......
Kellogg reduced its reliance on breakfast cereals with the Pringles acquisition in 2012, giving it a strengthened presence in sweet and savoury snacks and frozen food products. The company is now begi...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Energy Bars category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values. It also provides indispensable data on distribution chan...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide