CANADA: US weighs on Saputo Q1 profits
Lower profits from its US division has hit first-quarter earnings at Canadian dairy firm Saputo.
The company yesterday (31 July) reported a 3.8% fall in net earnings to C$121.8m (US$121.1m) for the three months to 30 June. EBITDA dropped 3.1% to C$203m.
A fall in cheese prices in the US hit its business in the market, Saputo said.
Revenue increased $1.7bn amid a "better product mix" of dairy ingredients and a weak Canadian dollar.
However, Saputo booked adjusted earnings per share of C$0.60, which missed analysts' average forecast of $0.66.
Michael van Aelst, an equity analyst at Canadian investment bank TD Securities, lowered his forecast for Saputo's full-year earnings per share for the company's next two financial years.
"We are lowering our estimates slightly to account for the miss in the quarter, a higher tax rate and temporarily higher competitive activity stateside, as slowing export growth leaves more dairy product to supply the domestic market," van Aelst wrote in a note today. "Our EPS estimates drop to C$2.59, from C$2.70 for F2013 and to $2.89, from $2.97, for F2014."
He added: "In our view, Saputo remains a very well-managed company, with solid execution and market positions; but we remain in the soft part of the dairy cycle and, as a result, we do not see a catalyst on the horizon - barring a material acquisition - that will drive Saputo’s shares meaningfully higher."
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019