Valeo Foods to acquire Balconi
Valeo acquires Balconi
Valeo Foods is set to acquire Italian cake and biscuit maker Balconi Industria Dolciaria.
The company, which owns the Jacobs cracker brand, has struck a deal to take control of the 80% of Balconi owned by private equity group Clessidra. The company will also buy the remaining 20% still owned by the founding Balconi family.
In a statement, Clessidra partner Manuel Catalano said that the move would enable Balconi to expand internationally. "With the entry of Valeo, Balconi can begin a new chapter in its growth, benefiting from distribution synergies, particularly in Northern Europe," he commented.
Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed. According to local reports Balconi was valued at EUR200-250m (US$227-284m).
Valeo, which is controlled by private equity firm CapVest, has expanded via M&A in recent years, including deals to acquire the Rowse honey, Kellin and Robert Roberts brands.
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Ice cream helps Unilever sales, food flat
- Suntory to offload Australia, New Zealand foods
- Nestle organic growth slows but beats expectations
- Equistone puts Whitworths up for sale