UK: Value retailer B&M eyes investment in Germany's JA Woll Handels.
B&M plots European expansion
UK variety retailer B&M has confirmed it is looking to acquire a majority stake of German discount firm JA Woll Handels.
The acquisition attempt is the value retailer's first venture outside the UK.
Asked by just-food if B&M was on the verge of acquiring a majority stake in the business a spokesperson responded: "That is correct".
JA Woll Handels currently operates 49 stores under the Hafu and Jawoll fascias and claims to be a "market leader in the north west" of Germany where it is the second largest "out-of-town" discounter.
The spokesperson said the move was part of B&M's "planned acquisition of majority stakes" in European retail businesses.
"They've said for some time there's potential for European expansion - this is a venture into the continental European market. This company has grown rapidly under current ownership and wants to accelerate further," she added.
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom