UK: Value retailer B&M eyes investment in Germany's JA Woll Handels.
B&M plots European expansion
UK variety retailer B&M has confirmed it is looking to acquire a majority stake of German discount firm JA Woll Handels.
The acquisition attempt is the value retailer's first venture outside the UK.
Asked by just-food if B&M was on the verge of acquiring a majority stake in the business a spokesperson responded: "That is correct".
JA Woll Handels currently operates 49 stores under the Hafu and Jawoll fascias and claims to be a "market leader in the north west" of Germany where it is the second largest "out-of-town" discounter.
The spokesperson said the move was part of B&M's "planned acquisition of majority stakes" in European retail businesses.
"They've said for some time there's potential for European expansion - this is a venture into the continental European market. This company has grown rapidly under current ownership and wants to accelerate further," she added.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019