US: Vantage meat tie-up "a first" for Ahold
Ahold's meat processing venture in the US is a "first" for the Dutch retail giant, the company has told just-food.
The retailer, which owns US chains including Stop & Shop and Giant Foods, is to build a meat plant with local firm Vantage Foods, which run the factory.
The facility, to be located in Pennsylvania, will prepare and package fresh meat. It will be up and running later next year.
"This is the first facility of its kind for Ahold USA," a spokesperson told just-food. "This facility will produce beef and pork products for the Giant Carlisle and Giant Landover divisions. "Ahold USA selected Vantage Foods after conducting a thorough review of potential partners. Vantage Foods has an excellent reputation and track record working with companies across our industry."
Vantage already supplies Ahold's Martin's Food Markets chain, the spokesperson added.
Ahold's exit from its ICA retail venture in Scandinavia and the Baltics looks set to net the Dutch company a cool US$3.4bn - but do not expect the Albert Heijn and Giant Food owner to go on an acquisi...
Dutch retail giant Ahold said the firm has the strength in its balance sheet to consider acquisition opportunities as one way of driving shareholder returns in 2013....
Regional US retailer Harris Teeter has said talks with a number of companies about an acquisition of the group are "ongoing"....
Qatari investment vehicle Hassad Foods has bought a majority stake in Indian food supplier Bush Foods Overseas....
- Why "simple" and "real" will be industry buzzwords
- Nestle's 2014 results: 10 Things to Learn
- On the money: Can Danone grow fresh dairy?
- Why US Dietary Guidelines report deserves praise
- Maspex: M&A opportunities in eastern Europe
- Kerry Group CEO expects more M&A in 2015
- Gruma FY earnings surge as margins improve
- Kerry sales, earnings rise but food weighs
- ABF continues to expect profit drop
- Irish Dairy Board to change name to Ornua