USA: Voluntary recall by Safeway to remove GM shells from the shelves
Following revelations that StarLink corn, which caused so much embarrassment for Kraft a few weeks ago, is present in the US's third largest retailer's own-brand taco shells, Safeway has embarked on a massive voluntary recall. The prompt response to the charges, brought by an antibiotechnology coalition, is stark evidence of the importance of the GM issue; investigative tests to confirm the presence of the genetically modified corn, which has not yet been approved for human consumption, have not even been carried out yet. If further testing by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) confirms the charges, only then would Safeway be legally obliged to remove the shell from the shelves."We're doing this out of an abundance of caution," said store spokeswoman, Debra Lambert.The
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report