UK: Waitrose asks OFT to refer all Safeway bids; M&S in talks with Asda
UK supermarket operator Waitrose will formally request that all bids for fellow retailer Safeway be referred to the competition authorities. The Financial Times reported that Waitrose, a subsidiary of the John Lewis Partnership, will argue that consolidation would negatively impact consumer choice. Waitrose said at the weekend: "Consumer choice could be diminished and the product range could become very narrowly focused, because of pressure on suppliers to provide goods that are as cheap as possible."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project