UK: Waitrose asks OFT to refer all Safeway bids; M&S in talks with Asda
UK supermarket operator Waitrose will formally request that all bids for fellow retailer Safeway be referred to the competition authorities. The Financial Times reported that Waitrose, a subsidiary of the John Lewis Partnership, will argue that consolidation would negatively impact consumer choice. Waitrose said at the weekend: "Consumer choice could be diminished and the product range could become very narrowly focused, because of pressure on suppliers to provide goods that are as cheap as possible."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever 'giving serious thought to split'
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mead Johnson acquires Bega Cheese capacity
- Kraft Heinz "substantially undervalued" Unilever