UK: Waitrose asks OFT to refer all Safeway bids; M&S in talks with Asda
UK supermarket operator Waitrose will formally request that all bids for fellow retailer Safeway be referred to the competition authorities. The Financial Times reported that Waitrose, a subsidiary of the John Lewis Partnership, will argue that consolidation would negatively impact consumer choice. Waitrose said at the weekend: "Consumer choice could be diminished and the product range could become very narrowly focused, because of pressure on suppliers to provide goods that are as cheap as possible."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Ferrero entity acquires Delacre