UK: Waitrose denies Co-op store buy
Waitrose today (15 December) denied it has agreed to buy 13 stores from The Co-operative Group as part of the Co-op's bid to win regulatory approval for its takeover of fellow UK retailer Somerfield.
Reports in the UK claimed Waitrose had been lined up as a buyer of the stores from the Co-op, which is looking to ease competition concerns over the GBP1.6bn (US$2.4bn) deal.
The disposals were ordered by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) in areas of the UK it believes could have suffered a reduction in competition as a consequence of the takeover.
The Co-op must sell 126 stores in total under the terms of the deal and earlier this month it said it had sold a batch of 58 stores to buyers including Morrisons, Tesco, Lidl, Spar and the Musgrave Group.
However, a spokesperson for Waitrose told just-food that reports linking the upmarket retailer to a possibe deal with the Co-op were speculation.
"We are always interested in buying new sites from any vendor and we wouldn't rule it out in the future but we are not currently in discussions with any vendor to buy Co-op stores," the spokesperson said.
The Co-op and the OFT both declined to comment.
Dairy Farmers of Britain, the UK co-operative supplying 10% of the country's milk, has become the latest victim of the global economic downturn. Unable to compete as its larger rivals slashed prices, ...
In recent months, the UK food sector has seen a number of successful reintroductions of once popular but discontinued brands. Ben Cooper examines the reasons behind this trend and asks if harking back...
Retail giant Tesco has challenged online supermarket Ocado through the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) over misleading price claims in a number of its adverts....
The two chief executives of German retail giant Rewe Group and Swiss counterpart Coop have been forced to pull the plug on plans to sit on each company's board of directors....
The continued sales growth seen at Morrisons, the UK's fourth-largest grocer, has been hailed as "impressive" by a leading industry analyst....
UK dairy co-operative Dairy Farmers of Britain has fallen into administration, receivers at PricewaterhouseCoopers have confirmed....
UK supermarket group Waitrose has called for a "sea change" on the issue of sustainable fishing....
The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has launched an investigation into Morrisons' proposed acquisition of 30 former Co-operative food stores....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review