UK: Waitrose grabs "record" market share - Kantar
Upmarket UK retailer Waitrose achieved its biggest share of the country's grocery market in the last three months, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel.
Waitrose accounted for 4.7% of UK grocery sales in the 12 weeks to 30 September, up from 4.4% in the corresponding period last year.
The retailer's sales increased 9.9%, outpacing a market up 3.9%. "It has also been a record-breaking period for Waitrose, posting its highest ever share of 4.7% and building on the strong performance we have seen over the past decade," Kantar Worldpanel director Ed Garner said.
The Kantar data showed Sainsbury's increased its sales by 5.6%, taking its market share from 16.2% a year ago to 16.5%.
"Among the big four supermarkets, the stand out performance is from Sainsbury's. Its sponsorship of the Paralympic games has clearly borne fruit, boosting its sales in this period. The retailer has also been bolstered by its Brand Match promotion and the ongoing relaunch of its own label range – both of which are proving popular with consumers," Garner said.
Aldi sales rose 25.4%, while Iceland Foods' sales were up 9.2%. Garner added: "The growth of the discounters and Iceland continue to be a strong feature of the market. In particular, Aldi has been delivering growth in excess of 20% per year since mid-2011 – clear evidence that value for money allied to a growing emphasis on product quality is encouraging shoppers to increase their loyalty to the outlet."
This week saw just-food speak with a number of company executives including the chief marketing officer of Burton's Biscuit Co. about the firm's plans and Vigor CEO Gilberto Xandó about the Brazilian ...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights