UK: Waitrose recalls beef meatballs over pork fears
Waitrose said several tests on the product had been carried out
UK upmarket retailer Waitrose has recalled its British beef meatballs after the product were found to potentially contain traces of pork.
The retailer said today (13 February) two batches of its Essential 16 British Meatballs produced last summer may contain pork. The products have a best-before date of June 2013 and August 2013.
Waitrose said tests results on the product had been "contradictory" but added it had taken the "precautionary action" of removing the product from sale and putting up customer information notices in all its branches.
A spokesperson for Waitrose said the products were made for the chain by ABP Freshlink, which has been lined up for closure by parent ABP Food Group.
ABP was the company originally at the centre of the horse meat scandal. Retailers including Tesco, The Co-operative Group and Aldi delisted ABP's Irish meat supplier Silvercrest Foods after its burgers were found to contain traces of horse DNA.
She added: "It was entirely appropriate to test beef products in line with FSA guidance.
"We have absolute confidence in the source of our beef. All of our beef is British and comes from our own group of farms through our own supplier and abattoir."
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
Tesco Plc entered the US market in 2007 with its small format, convenience-orientated Fresh & Easy stores. Since its entry, the economic recession compounded the challenges of entering a new market. T...
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- E-commerce: Online could offer growth in Russia
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report