UK: Waitrose recalls beef meatballs over pork fears
Waitrose said several tests on the product had been carried out
UK upmarket retailer Waitrose has recalled its British beef meatballs after the product were found to potentially contain traces of pork.
The retailer said today (13 February) two batches of its Essential 16 British Meatballs produced last summer may contain pork. The products have a best-before date of June 2013 and August 2013.
Waitrose said tests results on the product had been "contradictory" but added it had taken the "precautionary action" of removing the product from sale and putting up customer information notices in all its branches.
A spokesperson for Waitrose said the products were made for the chain by ABP Freshlink, which has been lined up for closure by parent ABP Food Group.
ABP was the company originally at the centre of the horse meat scandal. Retailers including Tesco, The Co-operative Group and Aldi delisted ABP's Irish meat supplier Silvercrest Foods after its burgers were found to contain traces of horse DNA.
She added: "It was entirely appropriate to test beef products in line with FSA guidance.
"We have absolute confidence in the source of our beef. All of our beef is British and comes from our own group of farms through our own supplier and abattoir."
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis