UK: Waitrose reports higher H1 profits
- Operating profit climbs 28.9%
- LFL sales up 2.2%
- Online sales grow 50%
Waitrose attributed the increases to strategic investments made over the last few years
UK retailer Waitrose has today (13 September) recorded an increase in first-half profits boosted, it said, by sales, increased efficiency and investment in convenience and online.
In the six months ended 28 July, operating profit climbed 28.9% to GBP142m (US$228.9m). A number of "strategic investments" made over the last few years, including convenience, Waitrose.com and in the Channel Islands, contributed to the growth, its owner The John Lewis Partnership said.
"The positive impact of these, along with increased efficiency and the benefits of growth, are seen in this profit performance which in turn provides a platform for further increases in investment in the second half," it added.
Gross sales grew 6.6% to GBP2.8bn underpinned by like-for-like sales growth of 2.2% and new branch openings.
"The investment made in Waitrose.com continues to bear fruit with online sales growing by 50%," John Lewis said. "During the first half of the year, Waitrose.com continued to be the fastest growing major UK online grocery retailer, according to Kantar Worldpanel data."
Waitrose opened four new supermarkets and six Little Waitrose convenience branches in the period, bringing the total store number to 282 shops, including 34 convenience shops, at the end of July.
The price gap between private label and brands did, in the main, close in the last quarter in 2012, according to the latest figures from the just-food international basket. SymphonyIRI, which compiles...
In a week of results from major retailers, Carrefour cheered the market with improvement in France, upmarket UK grocer Waitrose highlighted its strong year and Belgium's Delhaize insisted its business...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Comment: Act now to cut antibiotics in meat
- Nomad's post-Iglo opportunities
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- Russia "likely to extend food embargo"
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- First Milk to cut jobs, milk prices
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019
- Arla Foods amba - Strategy and SWOT Report