UK: Waitrose targets London in convenience push
Waitrose eyes c-store openings
Waitrose has confirmed that it plans to open ten new London-based Little Waitrose convenience stores this year.
The convenience outlets will be located in central London, a spokesperson for the retailer told just-food. The move represents the "largest number of new stores" the retailer has "ever opened in inner London" within a single year, doubling Waitrose convenience offering in the area, the spokesperson emphasised.
Currently, Waitrose operates 36 convenience stores throughout the UK.
The new London locations are still to be confirmed, but the first new outlet will open in Vaixhall this spring.
"London is an important part of our heritage and this another major milestone for our business. It demonstrates our ambition to continue increasing our presence and improving our accessibility to those in the capital who wish to shop with us," development director Nigel Keen said.
Waitrose also plans to open a full sized supermarket this summer in Greenwich as part of the New Capital Quay development.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
We have identified 5 issues that will be crucial to the convenience store format in 2020....
Morrisons, the UK's fourth-largest grocer, is to test new management structures in seven stores it plans to open later this year....
- How Windsor buy is part of Ajinomoto's global push
- Focus: Fonterra's bid to weather dairy volatility
- On the money: Diamond's faith in on-trend range
- Industry awaits WHO reply on beefed-up ad pledges
- Focus: Does size matter for Thai Union Frozen?
- Nestle sells baby food brands Alete, Milasan
- Kerry, Premier team up on frozen NPD in UK
- Kellogg, Burton's, Ulker "on UB bid shortlist"
- Nestle forms new unit to "leverage scale"
- PepsiCo eyes Middle East growth with R&D centre