USA: Wal-Mart challenges US county's ban on Supercenters
US retail giant Wal-Mart has said it has filed a petition with the Superior Court of California, challenging Alameda County's ban on large retail stores.
Wal-Mart said it has challenged the County Board of Supervisor's adoption of the "Large Scale Retail Ordinance", which prohibits retailers with total sales floor area in excess of 100,000 square feet from devoting more than 10% of the sales floor area to non-taxable merchandise, such as groceries and prescription drugs. Membership stores are exempt from the ordinance.
The retailer said the Alameda County Board of Supervisors had passed the ordinance earlier this month in an effort to prohibit Wal-Mart from opening large retail stores in the area.
Wal-Mart said the ordinance is "anti-competitive and anti-consumer" and said consumers should have the right to choose where they shop.
Wal-Mart operates more than 1,500 Supercenters across the country. The first Wal-Mart Supercenter in California will open in March in La Quinta.
Companies: Wal-Mart Stores
It's easier talking to your customers if you speak their language. With millions of speakers of minority languages around the world, food processors and retailers need to be able to communicate with t...
US retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to open 12 to 15 new stores in China this year according to the president of its international business, reports the Xinhua news agency....
Wal-Mart International chief John Menzer has met Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh and commerce minister Kamal Nath to lobby for permission to enter India's tightly-controlled retailing sector, the...
US retail titan Wal-Mart has reported record sales and earnings for the first quarter but said its results were lower than expected due to higher petrol prices and bad weather....
Wal-Mart Germany has cut prices of more than a thousand articles in its stores, some of them by over 20%....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report