ITALY/USA: Wal-Mart could be eyeing Italy as next EU market
US supermarket giant Wal-Mart, already No. 1 in the world thanks to its global operations, is reported to be planning further expansion in Europe and entry into Italy - and may do so even through strategic partnership with established outlets.
"We are a group with strong global vocation," Wal-Mart Chairman and CEO John Menzer is quoted as announcing in Italy's main business daily newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore yesterday [24 June]. "Europe is strategic in our development plans."
Pete Netzel, company Vice President for International Food Merchandising, is reported as saying that Wal-Mart is in the process of evaluating opportunities in Italy, adding that the company is open to the idea of partnership without full control.
Possible entry by Wal-Mart into the Italian supermarket business is bound to cause an upheaval in a sector in which foreign companies are already prominent and hold 50% share of the market, principally through Auchan and Carrefour. The Italian business daily, reporting from a meeting in Prague, said a new round of price wars is likely if Wal-Mart enters the sector.
Il Sole 24 Ore said senior Wal-Mart officials declined to name specific targets or potential partners.
Wal-Mart, offering steep discounts and its overall sales reaching US$200bn, is said to have doubled its turnover in the past five years due to its international operations.
By Hilmi Toros, just-food.com correspondent
It's easier talking to your customers if you speak their language. With millions of speakers of minority languages around the world, food processors and retailers need to be able to communicate with t...
Luc Vandevelde, supervisory board chairman of French supermarket Carrefour is 'determined' not to let the company become a takeover target, according to the news agency AFX....
The Turkish subsidiary of French supermarket Carrefour has announced plans to take control of retailers Gima and Endi....
Wal-Mart Germany has cut prices of more than a thousand articles in its stores, some of them by over 20%....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
French supermarket chain Carrefour has announced a 4.8% rise in pro forma group sales, including VAT, but ex-currency in the first quarter of 2004....
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review