CHILE: Wal-Mart in competition probe
The offices of global retailer Wal-Mart Stores' Chilean operation, as well as other local retailers, have been raided by the country's competition agency.
On Wednesday (14 December) the FNE authorised police raids at several supermarket chain's offices as part of an investigation into alleged unfair practices, seizing computers.
The supermarkets under investigation are Cencosud's Jumbo chain, Wal-Mart's Lider stores, Falabella's Tottus outlets and the Unimarc chain, the FNE said. "Today's proceedings were conducted in the framework of an ongoing investigation, referring to any behaviour or practices that might be contrary to free competition," it added.
A spokesperson from Wal-Mart said the Chile issue is "completely unrelated" to its own ongoing corruption probe.
"Faced with a requirement of regulatory authorities, our company is providing all the information requested to assist in the investigations carried out, while expressing its willingness to cooperate in any steps required," the spokesperson added.
"Also, our company emphasises its strict adherence to current legislation and its commitment to the principles of free competition, always with a view to providing an attractive proposition of value and quality to customers."
Chilean retailer Cencosud plans to raise up to US$718m in an initial public offering of American depository shares in New York....
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores has suggested in a regulatory filing its internal investigation into bribery accusations could widen beyond the retailer's subsidiary in Mexico....
Dairy giant Arla Foods grabbed the headlines this week with the admission 250 jobs could go at the company, with the possibility of more to come, as it looks to drive efficiency. Elsewhere, Kellogg an...
Wal-Mart Stores has booked an increase in first-quarter profits as it reported better-than-expected sales at its US outlets....
Shares in Massmart Holdings continued their descent today (9 May) after sales gains in the first nine months of the South African retailer's financial year missed expectations and it announced a slew ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report