TURKEY: Wal-Mart "in talks to buy Migros Ticaret"
Reports in London today (13 December) claimed the world's largest retailer was in discussions with the buy-out house, which acquired Migros in 2008. Should a deal happen, it would mark Wal-Mart's entry into the Turkish market and boost its presence in faster-growing economies.
According to The Financial Times, Wal-Mart has yet to submit a formal bid but has indicated its interest in Migros by meeting managers in recent days.
In October, there were reports Carrefour had held in talks to combine its venture in Turkey with Migros, although the French retailer declined to comment.
When contacted by just-food, BC Partners refused to be drawn on the reports. A spokesperson for Wal-Mart also declined to comment on what he called "rumours and speculation".
Carrefour Argentina SA is expected to continue focusing its expansion strategy on building its presence through store-based retailing, with plans to increase the number of outlets in the new Carrefour...
Wal-Mart, despite having built its empire on large format “big box” stores and hypermarkets, will shift gear and seek to expand in the US through small format supermarkets, such as its Walmart Neighbo...
The arrival of Carrefour’s new global CEO Georges Plassat has led to a change in the France-based multinational retailer’s strategy at various different levels. Towards the end of the review period, t...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits