INDIA: Wal-Mart JV to open more cash-and-carries
Wal-Mart Stores has confirmed it plans to expand its cash-and-carry network in India by the end of the year.
A spokesperson for the retail giant said its Bharti Wal-Mart venture would open between three and seven more stores by the end of the year. It has 17 cash-and-carries in India at present.
Bharti Wal-Mart saw its sales reportedly double in 2011 although its losses increased.
From a sustainability standpoint, 2012 might be characterised as a year when the world went backwards - or at a pinch stayed still - but the food industry moved forward, writes Ben Cooper....
- Why "simple" and "real" will be industry buzzwords
- Nestle's 2014 results: 10 Things to Learn
- On the money: Can Danone grow fresh dairy?
- Why US Dietary Guidelines report deserves praise
- Maspex: M&A opportunities in eastern Europe
- Kerry Group CEO expects more M&A in 2015
- Gruma FY earnings surge as margins improve
- Kerry sales, earnings rise but food weighs
- ABF continues to expect profit drop
- Irish Dairy Board to change name to Ornua