INDIA: Wal-Mart JV to open more cash-and-carries
Wal-Mart Stores has confirmed it plans to expand its cash-and-carry network in India by the end of the year.
A spokesperson for the retail giant said its Bharti Wal-Mart venture would open between three and seven more stores by the end of the year. It has 17 cash-and-carries in India at present.
Bharti Wal-Mart saw its sales reportedly double in 2011 although its losses increased.
From a sustainability standpoint, 2012 might be characterised as a year when the world went backwards - or at a pinch stayed still - but the food industry moved forward, writes Ben Cooper....
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- Why Kraft-Heinz merger could herald more deals
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus
- ConAgra confirms another private-label charge