INDIA: Wal-Mart JV to open more cash-and-carries
Wal-Mart Stores has confirmed it plans to expand its cash-and-carry network in India by the end of the year.
A spokesperson for the retail giant said its Bharti Wal-Mart venture would open between three and seven more stores by the end of the year. It has 17 cash-and-carries in India at present.
Bharti Wal-Mart saw its sales reportedly double in 2011 although its losses increased.
From a sustainability standpoint, 2012 might be characterised as a year when the world went backwards - or at a pinch stayed still - but the food industry moved forward, writes Ben Cooper....
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Cadbury to cut Australian jobs
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor