US: Wal-Mart, Kroger "bidders" for Hostess assets
Wal-Mart and Kroger are said to be among the bidders for the assets
Hostess last month received court permission to wind down its business and sell off its assets after a BCTGM national strike that the company said had "crippled" the company.
According to Bloomberg, Wal-Mart and Kroger are among the bidders for the group's assets. However, a spokesperson for Hostess yesterday (13 December) declined to reveal the identity of the interested parties.
He told just-food the company has received interest from more than 160 bidders and confirmed the assets have attracted interest from regional, national and international suitors.
Of the international bidders, the spokesperson confirmed the interest from those companies was in licensing the Hostess brands overseas.
"The deadline for initial bids was Monday of this week. I can't provide any specifics about the bidders, or a timeline," he told just-food.
Wal-Mart declined to comment on the reports and Kroger could not be reached for comment.
According to Bloomberg, private equity firm C. Dean Metropoulos & Co. had planned to submit a bid.
Other bidders are understood to have included Flowers Foods, which last month extended a $500m loan facility as news emerged linking it as a possible buyer.
US breakfast cereal group Post Holdings kicks off a relatively quieter week of results with its half-year numbers on Monday. On Tuesday, meat giants Marfig and JBS will report on how it fared in the f...
Wal-Mart has launched legal action against the UFCW union in the US and its protests at the retailer's stores in California....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report