UK/USA: Wal-Mart may seek smaller UK acquisition target - analysts
US retail giant Wal-Mart could seek a smaller UK grocery business to takeover after failing to get clearance to bid for UK supermarket chain Safeway, analysts have said. "At the moment in the UK, the only way you can expand as a retailer is through acquisition," Richard Hull, head of retail in Britain for consulting firm Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, was quoted by Reuters as saying.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Ice cream helps Unilever sales, food flat
- Suntory to offload Australia, New Zealand foods
- Post: Weetabix "opens up M&A opportunities"
- Nestle organic growth slows but beats expectations