UK/USA: Wal-Mart may seek smaller UK acquisition target - analysts
US retail giant Wal-Mart could seek a smaller UK grocery business to takeover after failing to get clearance to bid for UK supermarket chain Safeway, analysts have said. "At the moment in the UK, the only way you can expand as a retailer is through acquisition," Richard Hull, head of retail in Britain for consulting firm Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, was quoted by Reuters as saying.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- 2017: food policy hotspots in the UK, EU and US
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- Why near-term takeover of Mead Johnson unlikely
- Weetabix takeover talk gathers pace
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Boparan confirms interest in Fox's Biscuits
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Update - Pladis not bidding for Weetabix