UK/USA: Wal-Mart mulling £5bn-plus buyout of Safeway in UK?
The world's largest retailer, US-based Wal-Mart , is believed to be eyeing the UK's fourth largest supermarket chain, Safeway , as a potential takeover target. Safeway's fortunes have turned around in the last few years, and the group recently reported its eight consecutive quarter of out-performance, with Q2 like-for-like sales up 5.4%, compared with 5% last year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Amnesty - Global brands profit from labour abuses