US: Wal-Mart opens new store format in China
Wal-Mart has opened a new store format in China
Wal-Mart Stores has confirmed the opening of a new "discount compact hypermarket" format in China, called Trust Mart.
A spokesperson told just-food today (3 December) that the urban stores will be opened in "second and third-tier cities". The first store opened in October in Zhangshu.
Compared with its Wal-Mart Supercenters, the spokesperson said the new stores will have a smaller sales floors of between 3,000-5,000 square metres.
The spokesperson declined to comment on the expansion plans for the format.
The move fits in with the retailer's wider strategy, which was announced in October, of focusing on opening smaller stores in urban areas, although at the time of the announcement, the retailer was focusing small store growth in the US.
Two senior executives within Wal-Mart Stores' Chinese operations have resigned, the world's largest retailer has confirmed....
Wal-Mart Stores has today (23 May) cooled speculation that the retailer is setting up a base in London to drive European expansion....
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- Hain accounting issue rounds off problem year
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Lotus Bakeries enjoys growth organically, via M&A
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Emmi earnings grow but sales outlook lowered
- Unite outlines 2 Sisters stance on UK pizza site