USA: Wal-Mart sues Kmart over patented bag carousels
US retail giant Wal-Mart is to sue convenience store operator Kmart over use of its patented bag carousels.
Wal-Mart has a patent on the carousel that holds its plastic shopping bags. The cashier places items into bags and then spins the rack to make it easier for the customer to lift out the bags, reported Dow Jones News.
Wal-Mart filed a lawsuit in Delaware this week to prevent Kmart from using a similar device.
"The suit is a patent issue and that carousel device, as we have it, has been patented," Wal-Mart spokesman Tom Williams was quoted by Dow Jones International News as saying.
Williams said the carousels are used in more than 1,500 Wal-Mart stores, with more being added as new stores open and existing stores are remodelled.
Kmart spokesman Jack Ferry said the retailer has the carousels in fewer than 20 of its 1,512 stores.
Companies: Wal-Mart Stores
It's easier talking to your customers if you speak their language. With millions of speakers of minority languages around the world, food processors and retailers need to be able to communicate with t...
US retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to open 12 to 15 new stores in China this year according to the president of its international business, reports the Xinhua news agency....
Wal-Mart International chief John Menzer has met Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh and commerce minister Kamal Nath to lobby for permission to enter India's tightly-controlled retailing sector, the...
US retail titan Wal-Mart has reported record sales and earnings for the first quarter but said its results were lower than expected due to higher petrol prices and bad weather....
Wal-Mart Germany has cut prices of more than a thousand articles in its stores, some of them by over 20%....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report