CANADA: Wal-Mart to close Sam's Club stores
Wal-Mart is to close its Sam's Club stores in the Canadian province of Ontario.
The move comes as the world's largest retailer looks to focus on expanding its supercentre and discount businesses in Canada.
The company plans to open 26 Wal-Mart supercentres in Canada this year, which will take the US retail giant's store network to some 316 outlets in the country.
"Today's announcement will allow us to focus our resources on growing this popular one-stop format at a time when Canadians are relying on Wal-Mart more than ever to help them save money during challenging economic times," Said Wal-Mart Canada president and CEO David Cheesewright.
Some 1,200 Wal-Mart employees in Canada could be affected by the closure of the Sam' Club outlets. However, the retailer said it was in talks to sell five of the stores to a US retailer.
Cheesewright said: "Despite our best efforts and the commendable work of our Sam's Club associates, our six Clubs have not met our expectations."
Wal-Mart said the opening of the extra supercentre outlets in Canada would create around 5,000 jobs.
The downturn may have prompted some to rein in expansion plans but one retailer with high hopes is Spar, the global symbol group. Dr Gordon Campbell, the MD of Spar International, has been vocal in hi...
Wal-Mart is expected to post sales at the low end of its guidance and flat earnings per share when the world's largest retailer delivers its second-quarter results tomorrow (13 August)....
The launch of Wal-Mart's sustainable product index has generated much comment, some positive and some not so complimentary. Ben Cooper examines the response from environmental commentators and campaig...
Wal-Mart has insisted it will remain a "house of brands", despite increasing private-label sales as US consumers look to economise....
The UK government laid out its vision for the food sector this week and insisted there needed to be a "radical rethink" of our the industry does business. The debate over GM was reignited, while the o...
Wal-Mart has played down the decline in same-store sales that it saw in the US during the second quarter and focused on increasing traffic and market share gains as signs of the health of its domestic...
Asda, the UK unit of Wal-Mart, today (13 August) said that it is attracting an increasing number of value-conscious consumers, despite posting a drop-off in sales growth during the second quarter....
Wal-Mart has today (13 August) posted better-than-expected second-quarter earnings, which came in at the high end of its guidance range....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review