MEXICO: Wal-Mart's Mexican expansion
Wal-Mart has substantially expanded its presence in Mexico over the past year with plans to grow its presence further. In March of this year, sales (adjusted for inflation) rose 18.3% from the same period one year earlier. Roughly half of the sales increase was attributable to the opening of new stores and service units. Wal-Mart has recently opened a discount store (Bodega Aurrera) in Guerrero and three food service units located in Baja California, Tabasco, and Veracruz. As of 1 April, it operated a total of 506 retail establishments' nation-wide including supermarkets, department stores, and restaurants.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Interview: "Disruptive" snack brand Hippeas
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- TreeHouse Foods sells soup, baby food units