MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit down on price cuts
The company, majority-owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its net profit fell 12.8% to MXN7.3bn. Its operating profit was down 7.2% at MXN10.44bn.
Walmex revealed its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as "a year of great challenges", company chief executive Scot Rank said: "Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices."
Mexico's retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
Net sales were up 3.5% at MXN123.26bn.
Wal-Mart de México is by far the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. Its strategy of offering low prices to attract consumers has been replicated by all other chained groc...
The tough financial situation in 2012-2013 forced Wal-Mart to be more cautious about expansion. The company plans to upgrade outlets and close underperforming stores in the forecast period. For exampl...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean retailer DyS, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every year it opens new stores, and in only ...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019