MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit down on price cuts
The company, majority-owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its net profit fell 12.8% to MXN7.3bn. Its operating profit was down 7.2% at MXN10.44bn.
Walmex revealed its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as "a year of great challenges", company chief executive Scot Rank said: "Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices."
Mexico's retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
Net sales were up 3.5% at MXN123.26bn.
Wal-Mart de México is by far the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. Its strategy of offering low prices to attract consumers has been replicated by all other chained groc...
The tough financial situation in 2012-2013 forced Wal-Mart to be more cautious about expansion. The company plans to upgrade outlets and close underperforming stores in the forecast period. For exampl...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean retailer DyS, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every year it opens new stores, and in only ...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details