MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit down on price cuts
The company, majority-owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its net profit fell 12.8% to MXN7.3bn. Its operating profit was down 7.2% at MXN10.44bn.
Walmex revealed its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as "a year of great challenges", company chief executive Scot Rank said: "Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices."
Mexico's retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
Net sales were up 3.5% at MXN123.26bn.
Wal-Mart de México is by far the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. Its strategy of offering low prices to attract consumers has been replicated by all other chained groc...
The tough financial situation in 2012-2013 forced Wal-Mart to be more cautious about expansion. The company plans to upgrade outlets and close underperforming stores in the forecast period. For exampl...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean retailer DyS, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every year it opens new stores, and in only ...
- What Grexit could mean for the food industry
- just-food's pick: Top trends at Fancy Food Show
- Focus: Can General Mills improve US retail sales?
- How Russia's embargo affects domestic firms
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- Mondelez launches Oreo Thins in US
- Leclerc to contest ruling on supplier payments
- North Castle acquires stake in Sprout
- ABF's Kingsmill returns to Tesco
- UK's first free range milk label launched
- Nestlé SA in Packaged Food: Confectionery, Ice Cream, Sauces, Dressings and Condiments (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: News and Events April 2015