USA: Want the perfect Turkey this Thanksgiving? Check its temperature!
To ensure the perfect turkey this Thanksgiving, check to make sure the turkey reaches a temperature of 170 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the thigh. The true indicator that a turkey is ready to eat is to measure the bird's temperature with a food thermometer. Accurate temperatures, both in the oven and the turkey, are important for quality and safety. Since most consumers spend little time in the kitchen during the year, it is important to check the oven thermostat and oven temperature to verify the oven setting.A recent National Turkey Federation (NTF) survey found that less than 50 percent of home cooks use a thermometer to determine doneness of a turkey and or stuffing. This could mean that many home cooks are over cooking or undercooking their turkey -- leading to a disappointing outcome. NTF wants to make a food thermometer a cook's best friend by providing guidelines to ensure proper use.Time is a measurement in helping to ensure doneness. The turkeys purchased today yield a higher proportion of white meat, which cooks faster than dark meat and shorten the time it takes to prepare the turkey.Temperature Indicator -- Add One
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review