UK: Warburtons in talks to close Blackpool bakery
Warburtons said it has faced a “particularly challenging” year due to “increased pressure on household budgets and an increasingly competitive market”
UK baker Warburtons has announced it may close its plant in Blackpool amid increasing competition in the sector.
The proposal to close the facility, Warburtons said, reflects "the pressure of the continued challenging economic environment and changing demands on our business".
All 73 employees were briefed on the decision on Wednesday (12 September) and a 90-day consultation period has now begun.
Warburtons said it has faced a "particularly challenging" year due to "increased pressure on household budgets and an increasingly competitive market". The move, the company said, will enable the company to "maximise " its manufacturing capacity and produce its products more efficiently.
"As a family business this is a very difficult announcement to make but we must always act as a responsible business and be prepared to take tough decisions, at the right time, so we can ensure Warburtons remains competitive," said CEO Jonathan Warburton.
This week Associated British Foods (ABF) said the UK bakery market remains "intensively competitive", with promotional activity reducing margins. The recent increase in wheat costs is also expected to place further pressure on margins, it said.
Warburtons has unveiled an ambitious plan for its free-from business. The UK baker intends to double sales of free-from products during 2013. Katy Askew caught up with Warburtons free-from director Ch...
Analysts' superlatives for the 'stunning' performance of Primark do not stretch to the food units of Associated British Foods, but the group as a whole looks healthy in 2013 - and it might also have c...
Kellogg, Associated British Foods and General Mills have been slammed by charity Oxfam International for failing to meet ethical standards....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis