UK: Warburtons in talks to close Blackpool bakery
Warburtons said it has faced a “particularly challenging” year due to “increased pressure on household budgets and an increasingly competitive market”
UK baker Warburtons has announced it may close its plant in Blackpool amid increasing competition in the sector.
The proposal to close the facility, Warburtons said, reflects "the pressure of the continued challenging economic environment and changing demands on our business".
All 73 employees were briefed on the decision on Wednesday (12 September) and a 90-day consultation period has now begun.
Warburtons said it has faced a "particularly challenging" year due to "increased pressure on household budgets and an increasingly competitive market". The move, the company said, will enable the company to "maximise " its manufacturing capacity and produce its products more efficiently.
"As a family business this is a very difficult announcement to make but we must always act as a responsible business and be prepared to take tough decisions, at the right time, so we can ensure Warburtons remains competitive," said CEO Jonathan Warburton.
This week Associated British Foods (ABF) said the UK bakery market remains "intensively competitive", with promotional activity reducing margins. The recent increase in wheat costs is also expected to place further pressure on margins, it said.
Warburtons has unveiled an ambitious plan for its free-from business. The UK baker intends to double sales of free-from products during 2013. Katy Askew caught up with Warburtons free-from director Ch...
Analysts' superlatives for the 'stunning' performance of Primark do not stretch to the food units of Associated British Foods, but the group as a whole looks healthy in 2013 - and it might also have c...
Kellogg, Associated British Foods and General Mills have been slammed by charity Oxfam International for failing to meet ethical standards....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities