UK: Warburtons in talks to close Blackpool bakery
Warburtons said it has faced a “particularly challenging” year due to “increased pressure on household budgets and an increasingly competitive market”
UK baker Warburtons has announced it may close its plant in Blackpool amid increasing competition in the sector.
The proposal to close the facility, Warburtons said, reflects "the pressure of the continued challenging economic environment and changing demands on our business".
All 73 employees were briefed on the decision on Wednesday (12 September) and a 90-day consultation period has now begun.
Warburtons said it has faced a "particularly challenging" year due to "increased pressure on household budgets and an increasingly competitive market". The move, the company said, will enable the company to "maximise " its manufacturing capacity and produce its products more efficiently.
"As a family business this is a very difficult announcement to make but we must always act as a responsible business and be prepared to take tough decisions, at the right time, so we can ensure Warburtons remains competitive," said CEO Jonathan Warburton.
This week Associated British Foods (ABF) said the UK bakery market remains "intensively competitive", with promotional activity reducing margins. The recent increase in wheat costs is also expected to place further pressure on margins, it said.
Warburtons has unveiled an ambitious plan for its free-from business. The UK baker intends to double sales of free-from products during 2013. Katy Askew caught up with Warburtons free-from director Ch...
Analysts' superlatives for the 'stunning' performance of Primark do not stretch to the food units of Associated British Foods, but the group as a whole looks healthy in 2013 - and it might also have c...
Kellogg, Associated British Foods and General Mills have been slammed by charity Oxfam International for failing to meet ethical standards....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report