UK: Warburtons in talks with unions over sales jobs
Action was halted after Warburtons agreed to further talks with the union
UK baker Warburtons said it remains in talks with unions over proposed changes to its sales team.
Staff at the bakery had planned to start a 39-hour strike today (9 November) in protest over a decision by Warburtons to make 16 van driver assistant positions at its Bolton site redundant. Around 126 drivers and 15 van assistants were to take part.
However, action was halted after Warburtons agreed to further talks with the union.
"We remain committed to continued discussion with our employees and the URTU and are utilising ACAS conciliation services to ensure we find a resolution that is viable for all," a spokesperson for Warburtons said.
"Warburtons has a proud track record as a good employer with nearly 30% of our employees having been with us for ten years or more. We are always willing to have an open dialogue with our employees and their representatives."
Warburtons said it was making the changes in order to bring the Bolton bakery business "in line" with its national distribution model.
The union could not be reached for comment.
The UK baker closed its Blackpool site in September amid increasing competition in the sector, and in July faced strike action after unions held talks over an offer by the company of a 2% pay rise.
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details