UK: Warburtons in talks with unions over sales jobs
Action was halted after Warburtons agreed to further talks with the union
UK baker Warburtons said it remains in talks with unions over proposed changes to its sales team.
Staff at the bakery had planned to start a 39-hour strike today (9 November) in protest over a decision by Warburtons to make 16 van driver assistant positions at its Bolton site redundant. Around 126 drivers and 15 van assistants were to take part.
However, action was halted after Warburtons agreed to further talks with the union.
"We remain committed to continued discussion with our employees and the URTU and are utilising ACAS conciliation services to ensure we find a resolution that is viable for all," a spokesperson for Warburtons said.
"Warburtons has a proud track record as a good employer with nearly 30% of our employees having been with us for ten years or more. We are always willing to have an open dialogue with our employees and their representatives."
Warburtons said it was making the changes in order to bring the Bolton bakery business "in line" with its national distribution model.
The union could not be reached for comment.
The UK baker closed its Blackpool site in September amid increasing competition in the sector, and in July faced strike action after unions held talks over an offer by the company of a 2% pay rise.
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- PepsiCo to close Australia crisps plant
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis