UK: Warburtons pulls bread lines from central Europe
The firm had started selling a number of its lines through a trial agreement with Tesco stores in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland
The firm had started selling loaves and muffins through Tesco stores in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland in June last year.
However, Warburtons said it faced high distribution costs and had been unable to find a partner to produce its products locally.
"Factors including high distribution costs and not being able to find suitable manufacturing partner means that the long-term viability of exporting to these markets is limited," the spokesperson said. "We will continue to look for new export opportunities which will allow us to export one of Britain's most popular bakery products."
In October last year, Warburtons said it had a "vision" its products would "one day" be available "in many countries".
Warburtons still has a presence in France through a deal with retailer Casino to sell bread into 270 of the group's Monoprix stores. In May, it also said it would begin selling bread in Spain, targeting British ex-pats through stores in Malaga, Alicante and the Balearic Islands.
Tesco Stores SR AS is the leading grocery retailer in Slovakia and is one of the most innovative companies on the market. The company has major ambitions and plans for further expansion, mostly in the...
Tesco-Global Áruházak plans to extend its network of convenience stores and supermarkets to enter cities and towns which are smaller in size, with the possibility of becoming the leading retailer in t...
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report