EUROPE: Warburtons to expand into Spain, in French talks
UK baker Warburtons is to start selling bread in Spain next month and, in another sign of its ambitions on the Continent, is in talks with retailers in France.
The UK baker said today (20 April) it is expanding into Spain, where it will begin selling wrapped bread products from May, targeting British ex-pats through stores in Malaga, Alicante and the Balearic Islands.
It is also in talks to stock wrapped loaves in supermarkets across Paris "in the coming months". The move, Warburtons said, is part of its vision to "become the world's largest family food company".
Warburtons made its first move into international markets last year with trials in Tesco stores in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland.
A spokesperson for Warburtons said today: "At Warburtons, we are known for continually innovating in our product range and now we are pleased to translate this approach into accessing new markets and introducing more customers to the great quality and taste of our baked range.
"This development forms part of an innovative export project in Central Europe where Warburtons is currently working in partnership with Tesco to distribute to four countries in Central Europe (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland)."
Warburtons said it is "pleased" with the initial progress the project has made over the last ten months.
"The products have been well received and the quality is the best in the market. The wrapped bread (toastie etc) has proven most popular. Feedback from our partner, Tesco, has also been positive. This is a long-term project for our family business."
UK retailer Tesco has said it is confident that efforts to improve its domestic performance will reap results, despite posting a drop in first-half UK profits earlier today (3 October)....
Tesco is preparing to launch an organic box scheme in London, the UK retailer confirmed today (19 October)....
Tesco has launched a food website in China in a bid to build the company's reputation as "a trusted international food retailer"....
UK meat processor Cranswick has claimed a market first with the launch of a "single-serve" sausage range....
Further strike action by Eddie Stobard drivers who deliver products to a distribution centre that supplies Tesco stores around Doncaster has been suspended....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities