UK: Warburtons workers consulted over strike action
The union representing Warburtons employees is consulting with its members to see if it should push ahead with possible strike action after the UK baker offered baking staff a pay rise of 2%.
The Bakers Food & Allied Workers union is conducting a consultative ballot to determine if its members will accept the pay increase proposed by the company or if they would favour strike action against the group, BFAWU national president Ian Hodson told just-food.
"The company have offered 2%. Our members are asking for an inflation increase. Any additional changes should be over and above that figure," Hodson insisted today (2 July).
If BFAWU members vote in favour of a strike, the union will hold further talks with the company to first see if they will increase their offer and then "move straight to a strike ballot", Hodson revealed.
However, Warburtons insisted that its proposed pay increase was "fair and reasonable".
"We believe that after four months of negotiations and in the context of a highly competitive market, our proposal to offer a basic pay rise, along with modest improvements in other areas to fund a further increase, is both fair and reasonable," the company said.
However, the firm also indicated that it would consider improving upon its current offer.
"Warburtons is committed to continued negotiation with the BFAWU to determine how the current offer can be improved," the company said.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report