UK: Warburtons workers consulted over strike action
The union representing Warburtons employees is consulting with its members to see if it should push ahead with possible strike action after the UK baker offered baking staff a pay rise of 2%.
The Bakers Food & Allied Workers union is conducting a consultative ballot to determine if its members will accept the pay increase proposed by the company or if they would favour strike action against the group, BFAWU national president Ian Hodson told just-food.
"The company have offered 2%. Our members are asking for an inflation increase. Any additional changes should be over and above that figure," Hodson insisted today (2 July).
If BFAWU members vote in favour of a strike, the union will hold further talks with the company to first see if they will increase their offer and then "move straight to a strike ballot", Hodson revealed.
However, Warburtons insisted that its proposed pay increase was "fair and reasonable".
"We believe that after four months of negotiations and in the context of a highly competitive market, our proposal to offer a basic pay rise, along with modest improvements in other areas to fund a further increase, is both fair and reasonable," the company said.
However, the firm also indicated that it would consider improving upon its current offer.
"Warburtons is committed to continued negotiation with the BFAWU to determine how the current offer can be improved," the company said.
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis