BELGIUM: Delhaize: We could not achieve Bulgaria "leadership"
Delhaize has 54 stores in Bulgaria, focused on three cities, including Sofia
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize Group has said it decided to quit Bulgaria after concluding it could not secure a "leadership position" in the country.
Delhaize yesterday (26 February) announced a deal to sell its Bulgarian business to local investor AP Mart.
The transaction, expected to close in the second quarter, will see Delhaize's 54 Piccadilly and Piccadilly Express stores in Bulgaria change hands.
"We're trying to focus on areas where we have strong leadership positions in markets," a spokesperson told just-food.
The spokesperson said Delhaize's business in Bulgaria was not among the five largest food retailers in the country by market share.
He said Delhaize did not disclose sales figures by market. Last month, Delhaize said sales from its entire business in south-eastern Europe rose 5.1% to EUR3.15bn (US$4.31bn) in 2013. A "difficult environment" in Serbia meant comparable-store sales in the region fell 0.3%.
Delhaize entered Bulgaria in 2011 when it bought Serbia-based group Delta Maxi, which also had stores in Albania, Bosnia and Herzigovina, Montenegro and Serbia. Delhaize already had outlets in Greece and Romania.
Since that deal, Delhaize has sold its stores Albania and changed its business in Montenegro to a franchise arrangement.
Agricultural Products in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
Introduction Food Retail in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The pro......
2013 saw the continuous development of trends seen in 2012: the strength of the authenticity trend favoured brands such as Delhaize Group SA, which strongly marketed its own organic labels. Value-for-...
Fruit & vegetables in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile a...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details