BELGIUM: Delhaize: We could not achieve Bulgaria "leadership"
Delhaize has 54 stores in Bulgaria, focused on three cities, including Sofia
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize Group has said it decided to quit Bulgaria after concluding it could not secure a "leadership position" in the country.
Delhaize yesterday (26 February) announced a deal to sell its Bulgarian business to local investor AP Mart.
The transaction, expected to close in the second quarter, will see Delhaize's 54 Piccadilly and Piccadilly Express stores in Bulgaria change hands.
"We're trying to focus on areas where we have strong leadership positions in markets," a spokesperson told just-food.
The spokesperson said Delhaize's business in Bulgaria was not among the five largest food retailers in the country by market share.
He said Delhaize did not disclose sales figures by market. Last month, Delhaize said sales from its entire business in south-eastern Europe rose 5.1% to EUR3.15bn (US$4.31bn) in 2013. A "difficult environment" in Serbia meant comparable-store sales in the region fell 0.3%.
Delhaize entered Bulgaria in 2011 when it bought Serbia-based group Delta Maxi, which also had stores in Albania, Bosnia and Herzigovina, Montenegro and Serbia. Delhaize already had outlets in Greece and Romania.
Since that deal, Delhaize has sold its stores Albania and changed its business in Montenegro to a franchise arrangement.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities