US: Weather impacts Chiquita's bottom line in Q1
- Sales dropped to US762m from US774m
- Operating income fell to US$1m from US$25m
- Net loss of US$25m from income of US$2m last year
Chiquita has announced a loss in its first quarter
Drought conditions in Central America and winter storms in North America and over the Atlantic, lowering banana demand, have hit Chiquita's bottom line.
The firm, which merged with Fyffes in March this year, said the impact of weather saw the firm post a net loss of US$25m compared to a net income of US$2m for the same period last year.
"While we are confident in our 2014 progress toward our long term financial targets and benefits from our 'return to the core' strategic plan, our first quarter results did not meet expectations," said Ed Lonergan, Chiquita's president and chief executive officer. "Drought conditions in Central America and winter storms in North America and over the Atlantic disrupted our value chain and market demand for our products.
He predicted the Fyffes merger, due to close at the end of the year, "will fundamentally improve our ability to deal with weather risks and event-driven supply volatility in our bananas business due to the broader growing and shipping profiles of the combined entities".
Fyffes plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Canadean's "Total Produce plc - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and ser...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details